African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew (by Fresh Off the Grid)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 cups broth
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons New Mexico chili powder
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups tuscan (aka lacinato or dino) kale, destemmed and chopped
- brown rice
- Saute the onion in water for about 5 minutes, until translucent and just starting to brown in spots. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potato, broth, tomatoes & their juices, peanut butter, and chili powder. Stir well to ensure the peanut butter is thoroughly mixed in and there’s no clumps remaining. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender, add the chickpeas and the kale. Stir to combine and heat until the chickpeas have warmed through and the kale has wilted.
- Serve over brown rice.