Healthy Apple Pie (from Chef AJ)
For the Crust:
- 1¼ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 4 ounces of sulfite free dried apples
- 8 ounces of pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon alcohol free vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a high-powered blender grind oats and seeds. Transfer to a food processor fitted with the “S” blade.
- Add the spice and dried apples and process until they are finely ground.
- Add dates, a few at a time, until mixture start to stick together and you can clump it together easily into a ball.
- Then add vanilla and briefly process again.
- Evenly press mixture into a 9″ springform pan.
- 3 pounds of apples, before peeling
- 1 cup of date paste (recipe below)
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice (add zest if using fresh)
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon alcohol free vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
- In a small bowl, mix together the chia seeds and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Peel apples and finely chop.
- Stir in date paste, spice and vanilla.
- Add chia seed/lemon juice mixture and mix well.
- Pour evenly over crust. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 -55 minutes until coconut starts to brown.
- Soak 1 pound of dates in 1 cup water overnight or for several hours until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- In a food processor, process dates and liquid until completely smooth.
This recipe yields 2 cups. Leftovers can be stored in the freezer.
This pie is delicious served hot, warm, cold or at room temperature.