- 2½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1¾ cups unsweetened soy or almond milk (or water)
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped (peeled or unpeeled)
- ½ cup raisins
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°F. degrees. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Stir all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. To serve for breakfast, spoon into bowls with a little unsweetened soy or almond milk and any favorite fruit toppings. To serve as snack bars, allow to cool completely before cutting into 16 squares.
Instead of an apple, try a banana, pear, or a cup of pineapple, raspberries, strawberries, and/or blueberries.
To further sweeten this dish, blend 2 ounces pitted and quartered dates (3 to 4 Medjool or 6 to 8 Deglet Noor) with the unsweetened soy or almond milk before mixing.
A favorite variation is to substitute 1½ cups of sliced strawberries and ¼ teaspoon of ground cardamom instead of the apple, raisins, and nutmeg.