Barbeque Beans and Greens (from Forks Over Knives)
- water to sauté
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 entire bunch of greens (kale, chard, collards), chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 can cooked pinto beans (or 1-½ cups dry), drained and rinsed
- 1 can cooked white beans (cannellini or white Northern) (or 1-½ cups dry), drained/rinse
For the Sauce:
- ¾ cups water
- 5 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 can (6-ounce) of tomato paste
- 1 can (8-ounce) of chunked pineapple, including juice (in juice, not corn syrup), or ½ cup each of juice and diced pineapple
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika (plain or smoky flavor)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy)
- Place the pitted and chopped dates into a blender with the ¾ cups water to soften.
- In a large soup pot or skillet, sauté the onion in a tablespoon or two of water, just enough so that it does not stick, for 2 minutes until soft.
- Turn heat to medium-low, and add the chopped greens and beans, and cook for a 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the blender, add to the water and dates: the tomato paste, pineapple and juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, granulated onion and garlic, and paprika. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add the sauce to the pot of onions, beans and greens, and stir until evenly mixed. Cook on low for 5 to 10 minutes to incorporate the flavors. You can serve this meal as is, or transfer into a baking dish and bake covered for 30 minutes at 375ºF for more of a “baked beans” dish.