BBQ Lentil Loaf Bites (from Nutmeg Notebook)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup greenish/brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon no salt seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- BBQ Sauce (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the ground flaxseeds with 1/4 cup water and set aside.
- If using uncooked lentils, rinse and drain the lentils. In a medium size sauce pan bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add the lentils, turn the heat down and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the lentils are soft and the water is absorbed. The cooking time will vary depending on what type of lentil you use so check them at the 25 minute mark and keep an eye on them. Drain off any remaining liquid.
- While the lentils are cooking – add a tablespoon of water or vegetable broth to a skillet along with the diced onion, saute for about 5 minutes, add minced garlic and saute another minute or two adding more water or broth if needed to keep the mixture from sticking to the pan. Turn off the heat, add the flax mixture, tomato sauce, seasonings, oats, and lentils. Mix well – taste it and adjust seasonings if needed. Remember that a lot of the flavor is coming from the topping.
- Using a silicone muffin pan, fill ten of the muffin cups with lentil loaf mixture – pressing it down gently in the cup so it will stick together.
- Make the BBQ sauce and spread it evenly over the top of each lentil muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- 1 six-ounce can of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 5 Medjool dates (or 1/4 cup date paste)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp stone ground mustard (salt-free)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chipolte powder
- 1/2 tsp “smoked” paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- A little liquid smoke (optional)
Directions: Blend everything in a high-speed blender.