Black Bean Tofu Scramble (from ExSloth)
This scramble goes great on its own or topped with this mango pineapple salsa. You can also make a breakfast burrito by placing everything into a tortilla.
- ¼ of an onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- ½ bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup kale leaves (or other leafy greens)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- pepper, to taste
- Optional Toppings: salsa and avocado
- In a small bowl, mix together the turmeric, cumin and chili powder along with 1 – 2 tbsp water and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then water saute the onion and bell pepper for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to saute for an additional 2 – 3 minutes until the veggies have softened adding water if the pan becomes dry.
- While the veggies are cooking, crumble the tofu into bite-sized pieces, using a fork or your fingers.
- Add the tofu to the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the spice mixture and stir immediately until everything is evenly coated.
- Add in the black beans and kale and continue to cook until the kale has wilted and the tofu is slightly brown (about 5 minutes).
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with salsa and avocado, if desired.