Brussels Sprouts, Rice, And Corn Soup
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large shallots or very small onions, cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into thin slices
- 1 9 oz bag shredded Brussels sprouts
- 4-5 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth (0r more)
- 6 tablespoons (uncooked) long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add a bit of water, sprinkle in the crushed red pepper flakes, letting them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the shallots or onions, and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until the shallots or onions start to soften, 2 or 3 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring, just until they brighten in color, another minute or two.
- Carefully add the water or broth and the rice; let the mixture come to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low or low so the liquid is barely bubbling around the edges. Cover and cook until the rice has plumped and become tender, about 35 minutes, stirring and adding liquid as needed.
- Uncover; stir in the corn and cook until it has heated through, 3 or 4 minutes.
Note: If doubling or tripling this recipe, be careful about increasing the red pepper flakes as their heat increases exponentially.