Caesar Salad (from Straight Up Food)
For the salad:
- 1 large head romaine lettuce (about ¾ pound), coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 1 medium, ripe avocado, chopped (optional)
- 1 ounce raw, unsalted cashews or walnuts (about ¼ cup; for optional garnish)
- Ground black pepper
For the dressing:
- ½ cup water
- 2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ½ cup)*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I like Dijon or stone ground)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 medium clove garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- Place all of the dressing ingredients (water, cashews, lemon juice, mustard, raisins, garlic, and herbs) into a blender, and set aside for 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
- Place the lettuce, bell pepper, and avocado (if using) into a large salad bowl.
- Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Season with pepper to taste, and garnish with ground cashews or walnuts, if desired.
*For a lower fat version, use 1/2 cup cooked white beans.
This salad is also great with fresh tomatoes in the summer.