Chickpea Avocado Salad (from Two Peas and Their Pod)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups cooked from dry)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Juice from 1 lime
- Pepper, to taste
- Lettuce leaves, sprouted grain wraps, or sprouted grain bread for assembling sandwich
- Fresh spinach leaves or other sandwich toppings: lettuce, tomato slices, sprouts, etc.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas and avocado together.
- Add in cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Season with pepper, to taste.
- Spread chickpea salad on lettuce leave, wrap, or bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings.
This salad also makes a great dip for fresh vegetables. It is best to eat this chickpea salad the day it is made because it will turn brown due to the avocado. However, you can try adding the avocado pit into leftovers to prevent some browning.