Love chili? Love baked sweet potatoes? Then this is the perfect meal for you!
Chickpea Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (from The Vegan 8)
- 4-5 medium sweet potatoes
- half of a large white onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup water (divided)
- 1/2 tablespoon + 1/2 tablespoon chili powder (divided)
- 1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (divided)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed well (or use 1.5 cups cooked fresh from dry)
- Optional garnish: chopped avocado and hot sauce
- Place the sweet potatoes on a pan lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven of 400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour.
- While your potatoes are cooking, prepare your vegetables by chopping the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- When there is 15 minutes left for the potatoes, add the onion, bell pepper, only the first 1/2 cup of the water, only the first 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, and only the 1 teaspoon of cumin to a large pan. Stir and turn to medium heat. Once it begins to boil, let it cook for 8 minutes, until all the water is nearly gone.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup water and the garlic. Cook 2 more minutes and then add the corn, chickpeas, remaining 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Stir and cook a few more minutes until it’s all heated through and thickened. Add more water if needed. Taste and add any more spices if desired.
- Serve immediately over the sweet potatoes. Garnish with chopped avocado, a sprinkle of chili powder, or some hot sauce if desired.