Chickpea Noodle Soup (from Vegan Street)
Crunchy Spiced Chickpeas
- 16 oz. chickpeas, rinsed
- 1-2 T vegetable broth
- 2 t. onion powder
- 1 t. garlic granules
- 1 t. thyme
- 1/2 t. rosemary
- Pepper to taste
- 6 oz. gluten-free or regular linguine noodles, broken in half and cooked according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T. low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 T. dill
- 1 T. thyme
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup curly parsley, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet (with raised edges so the chickpeas don’t roll off) or another long, flat pan with parchment paper. Spread the chickpeas on the pan and bake for 20 minutes, remembering to move them with a spatula every five minutes to prevent burning.
- After 20 minutes, lower the heat to 375 degrees, and place the chickpeas in a bowl and toss with the broth and spices. Return them to the same baking sheet and cook for 15 more minutes. Once out of the oven, put them back in the bowl to prevent further cooking.
- Meanwhile, start your soup. Start a large pot of water to boil and cook the linguine according to the directions.
- Heat the vegetable broth on medium-high in a large sauté pan; add the onion, carrots and parsnips for 4-5 minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add the celery, garlic, tamari and spices and sauté for 5 more minutes. Transfer to a soup pot, add the broth and cook on medium-low until the soup is heated through. Season as you like with pepper.
- Add the cooked linguine to the soup and stir in the chickpeas. Serve and enjoy!