- ¾ cup dried chickpeas, soaked for at least 4 hours in warm water
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 hot green chile, finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp each ground cumin, garam masala, paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1.5 cups water (1 cup for a thicker dish)
- 2-3 packed cups chopped spinach, chard or combination greens (10 to 12 oz)
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1 tbsp or more lemon juice
- cayenne and garam masala for garnish
- Drain the soaked chickpeaas, wash well, drain and set aside. (Can also use 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed).
- Mince and mix together or process the onion, ginger, garlic and hot chile. Add to Instant Pot with a little water and press the saute button. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the spices (cumin garam masala, paprika, coriander) and mix in. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Mash the larger pieces.
- Add washed and drained chickpeas and water. Close the lid and put the knob on sealing.
- Press Manual for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Quick release after 10 mins. Press saute. Fold in the greens and non dairy milk. Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cayenne and lemon juice and mix in. Serve hot over brown rice.
4. Add cayenne and lemon and mix in. Serve hot over brown rice.
For creamier result, use ¾ cup coconut milk or non dairy milk + ¾ cup water instead of 1.5 cups water to cook. Or use an immersion blender to blend some of the cooked mixture. The blended chickpeas will thicken it up.