If you love chocolate, you will love these healthier chocolate cookies.
Chocolate Cookies (from Detoxinista)
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted (about 12)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (can also use carob powder)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp alcohol free vanilla
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons water) (can also use chia seeds)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Make your flax egg and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the dates and pecans together until a crumbly texture is formed.
- Add in the cocoa powder, baking soda, vanilla, and flax egg and process again until the batter is relatively smooth, a little stickier than traditional cookie dough.
- Spoon the batter onto the lined baking sheet, and use your hands to gently flatten the cookie dough. (Tip: Wet your hands with water to prevent sticking!) These cookies don’t spread much, so be sure to shape the cookies the way you’d like them to look when they’re done baking.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are firm and your house smells like brownies.
- Allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store leftover cookies in a sealed container in the fridge or freezer for best shelf life. These cookies should last a week in the fridge and for several months in the freezer.