Cranberry Orange Pumpkin Muffins (from Chef AJ)
- 2 large, very ripe bananas
- ½ cup orange juice plus zest of one orange
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup date paste (recipe below), alternatively can also use 12 medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tablespoon alcohol-free Vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries, unsweetened or fruit juice sweetened
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a food processor fitted with the “S” blade, process bananas and OJ until smooth.
- Add pumpkin, date paste (or dates), extract, zest, flax seeds, and spice and continue processing until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the oats and dried cranberries.
- Spoon an equal amount of batter into a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners or silicone baking cups. You need to fill each muffin liner with about ½ cup of batter as these do not rise.
- In a separate bowl, mix the nuts and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly onto the top of the 12 muffins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
To make date paste:
- 1 pound pitted dates
- 1 cup of liquid (water, unsweetened non-dairy milk, unsweetened juice)
Soak dates in liquid overnight or for several hours until much of the liquid is absorbed. In food processor fitted with the “S” blade, process dates and liquid until completely smooth. Store date paste in the refrigerator or freezer.