Creamy Broccoli Rice Casserole (From My Bowl)
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp paprika
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (drained and rinsed if using canned)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets (not thawed if using frozen)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Add the nutritional yeast to a medium pot and toast over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. The yellow flakes will become darker and more fragrant.
- Once toasted add the vegetable broth, chopped onion, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne pepper to the pot. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling pour the chickpeas into a 9×13″ pan or casserole dish. Layer the broccoli evenly over the chickpeas, then sprinkle the uncooked brown rice over the top of the dish.
- Whisk the vegetable broth and spice mixture well to evenly distribute the spices, then pour the boiling mixture over the casserole dish. If any spices “clump” in a particular area, stir them around a bit with a spatula. Bake covered for 60 minutes.
- For a crispy, broil it uncovered in the oven on high for 5-10 minutes after it finishes baking.