Creamy Broccoli Soup (from Connoisseurus Veg)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup vinegar based hot sauce (can omit if you don’t like spicy, but you may want to add a splash of vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons white miso paste
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 large crown)
- Pepper, to taste
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and water sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for about 1 minute more, until very fragrant.
Add the vegetable broth and stir in the potato, carrot, and cashews. Raise the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower heat and allow to simmer, uncovered, until the carrot and potato are tender, about 20 minutes.
Use an immersion blender to blend everything together. If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, working in batches if needed.
Once blended, stir in the soy milk, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, miso and broccoli. Place over high heat and bring everything to a boil. Allow to simmer until the broccoli is tender and the soup thickens up a bit, about 7 minutes.
Remove from heat and season with pepper to taste.