Easy Black Bean Enchiladas (from I Love Vegan)
This recipe has a few steps, but it really comes together easily. Chop everything before doing any cooking, then while the filling is cooking, you can start the enchilada sauce.
- small corn tortillas
- green onion, for topping
- cilantro, for topping
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or chopped, for topping
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (1 can) cooked black beans, drained
- 3 tsp chili powder (divided)
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- ½ cup salsa
- ⅓ of bean mixture from filling
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add the onion, garlic, black beans, and 2 tsp chili powder. Sauté until the onion is translucent and tender. Transfer bean mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, add crumbled tofu, kale, and chopped bell pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Add ½ cup salsa and 1 tsp chili powder. Mix well. Add ⅔ of the bean mixture from step 1. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Enchilada Sauce Directions:
- In a blender, blend remaining ⅓ of the beans from step 1, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 cup of salsa, and 1 tsp chili powder. Blend on high until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a baking dish, spread about 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of the pan.
- Place the corn tortillas in an even layer over the sauce.
- Spread the filling on top of the tortillas.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the tortillas.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Just before serving, top with chopped green onion, cilantro. Serve with fresh avocado or guacamole.