Easy Hash Brown Casserole (from eatplant-based.com)
This is a very simple recipe to make and a healthy way to start the day! Make sure to read all directions before beginning to cook.
- Creamy No Cheese Sauce (recipe below)
- 1 30 oz package frozen shredded hash browns oil-free version (or 4 cups freshly shredded)
- 3/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, shredded
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp dry steak seasoning
- 1 Tbsp ground smoked paprika
- Pepper, to taste
Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup broth from veggies
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (or 1/2 cup white beans)
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch paprika
- 1/2 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Start by preparing your creamy no cheese sauce. In a medium pot, bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in pot and allow to cook until veggies are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on how small the veggies are diced.
- When veggies are tender, drain and place them in blender. NOTE: reserve 1 cup of the broth, and add to blender. Add all the remaining cheese sauce ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Dice the onion and red bell pepper into small chunks. Over medium high heat, water sauté the veggies until tender.
- In large bowl, mix together sautéed onions and red bell peppers, frozen hash browns, cheese sauce, and spices.
- Toss in shredded spinach leaves and lightly mix again.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper. This allows the casserole to be cooked without oil. You could use a silicone baking dish if desired.
- Pour hash brown mixture into baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.