This is a great recipe to eat for breakfast. You can eat it as the frittata or wrap it up for a breakfast burrito.
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups of red chard or spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or low-sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- several dashes fresh black pepper
1. Preheat a large pan over low-medium heat. Add a bit of water and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally (adding more water as needed).
2. Add chard or spinach & oregano and saute over medium high heat for about 5 min.*
3. Drain the tofu to remove the water. Use your hands to crumble and squeeze it in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients to the tofu and mix well.
4. Add the sauteed vegetables into the tofu.
5. Firmly press the frittata mixture into an 8 inch pie plate.
6. Bake for 20 minutes at 400F until firm and lightly browned on top.
7. Let cool for 3 minutes then invert onto a plate. Serve with a side of roasted potatoes. You can also make this into a breakfast burrito by placing some of the frittata into a sprouted grain tortilla with some salsa and beans and rolling it into a burrito.
*Note: You can add other vegetables to this recipe too! Some favorites include mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and zucchini. Just saute the vegetables with the chard or spinach & oregano.