Greek Kale Salad (from Cookie and Kate)
Ingredients for kale salad:
- 1 medium bunch of curly green kale (about 8 ounces)
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup thinly sliced Kalamata olives and/or roughly chopped pepper rings
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes, (packed in water) rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
Ingredients for creamy tahini dressing:
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 to 1 ½ lemons)
- 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To prepare the salad: Place the chopped kale in a large serving bowl. Massage it with your hands by scrunching up large handfuls at a time until it’s darker and more fragrant. Add the chickpeas, olives and/or pepper rings, and sun-dried tomatoes. Set aside.
- Toast the sunflower seeds if desired by placing them in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until the seeds are fragrant and turning lightly golden at the edges, about 5 minutes. Pour the toasted seeds into the salad bowl.
- To prepare the salad dressing: In a small liquid measuring cup or bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and mustard. Whisk until blended. Add the water and whisk until blended. Season generously with freshly black pepper, to taste.
- Pour the dressing into the salad (you might not need all of it). Toss until the salad is evenly coated with dressing. Serve immediately. This salad keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days.