Healthy Hash Brown Casserole (from Fat Free Vegan)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup raw cashews or 2 tablespoons tahini, optional
- 3 tablespoons potato starch or cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 16 ounces frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed (make sure there is no oil, alternatively you can peel and cut regular potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place sauce ingredients in blender and blend at high speed until smooth.
- Heat a large, deep non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. (Add water by the tablespoon if needed to prevent sticking.) Stir in the garlic, kale, and 2 tablespoons of water; cover tightly. Cook, stirring every 60 seconds, until kale has wilted to about half its volume.
- Add the sauce, hash browns, and chickpeas. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until casserole is set (no longer liquid in the middle), 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.