Herbed Chickpea Stuffed Mushrooms (from Vegan Richa)
For the stuffing:
- 1 can Chickpeas/garbanzo beans or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup small chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
- 3-4 scallions chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1+ tsp Italian herb blend
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup raw cashew halves
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground oats (optional)
- Portabellas, stems removed
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Wash and scrub the bellas. Pat dry. Place with tops down on parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle a little pepper and thyme on the bellas.
- For the stuffing: In a bowl, add chickpeas and mash well. Add all the ingredients till black pepper and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- When ready to use the stuffing to stuff the portabellas (or to stuff bell peppers or tomatoes or Squash), add the cashews and ground oats if using and mix well. Add a few tsps broth or water if the mixture feels too crumbly.
Note: If you like the veggies well cooked, then saute the onions in a splash of vegetable broth or water, for 4-5 minutes on low-medium heat. Then add carrots, cashews and mashed chickpeas and a few more tablespoons of veggie broth, cover and cook for 5-8 minutes. Take off heat, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well and use.
- Stuff the seasoned mushrooms with the stuffing. Top with tomato slices. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the mushrooms are well done and the stuffing is golden.