This flavorful recipe can be made on the stove top or in an Instant Pot!
Jambalaya (from Cilantro and Citronella)
- 3 cups total mixed beans (like 1/3 each: pinto, kidney, garbanzo)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dry brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional for garnish)
Stove Top Directions:
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add a splash of water. Add the onion, and garlic and sauté until soft. Add the peppers, and another splash of water if necessary, and sauté until just beginning to soften.
- Add all other ingredients EXCEPT for the beans. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer gently until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed – 30 to 40 minutes. Keep an eye on it near the end of the cooking time and stir from time to time to prevent the rice from sticking.
- Once the rice is tender, stir in the beans and taste. Give it a minute for the beans to heat then serve and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Add all ingredients to the instant pot.
- Set to manual, high pressure for 18 minutes.
- Let it release naturally.
- Enjoy with fresh parsley on top, if desired.