Lentil and Barley Stew
This recipe can be made on the stove top or in an Instant Pot!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 large carrot, peeled and shredded or cubed
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups water (or veggie broth)
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2/3 cup pearled barley (can also use brown rice)
- 1 teaspoon miso (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary (1/2 teaspoon if making in a pressure cooker)
- Freshly ground pepper
For stove top:
- Heat a small amount of water or vegetable broth in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add celery; cook until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, lentils, barley, miso (if using), rosemary, and pepper to taste. Heat to a boil; reduce heat to simmer. Cover; simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the barely and lentils are almost tender, 25 minutes. Add carrots; cook until the barley and lentils are tender, 5 minutes.
For Instant Pot:
- Dump everything in and stir.
- Hit the manual button and time it for 20 minutes.
- Allow it to come down naturally (not quick release).