Lentil Burgers (Keep it Simple, Keep it Whole)
Makes 4 patties
- 1 cup dry red lentils, well rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- Barbecue sauce (optional, see recipe for Dels’ Barbecue sauce)
- Rinse the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear (this is a very important step)
- Boil lentils in pot with water for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan saute onions in water until golden brown then add carrot and saute for five more minutes
- Add this to the pot of lentils along with the black pepper, coconut aminos, and oats.
- While still warm, make patties.
- Bake patties in oven at 375 degrees (for 20-30 minutes until bottom is golden brown). Serve on sprouted grain bun. Optional: lettuce, tomato, onion and barbecue sauce.