Lentil Tacos (from Delish Knowledge)
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth or water
- Spice mix:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Corn Tortillas, for serving
- Taco toppings: shredded lettuce, cilantro, sliced jalapeños, guacamole, salsa
- First, cook your lentils by rinsing them, then place in a saucepan with enough water to cover by 2-3 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and let simmer until tender, about 25-30 minutes. (While waiting for these to cook, you can measure out all your spices and begin chopping the onion and mincing the garlic.)
- Once the lentils are done, in a large frying pan over medium high heat, water saute the onion. Stir frequently, about 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and spice mixture and cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently.
- Add the cooked lentils and stir to combine. Add the vegetable broth and using a potato masher or fork, gently mash the lentils. Cook another few minutes until hot. If the lentils start to dry out, add another tbsp. or two of vegetable broth.
- Warm up your tortillas in the microwave or oven.
- Place a heaping spoonful or two into the taco shell and add any of your favorite toppings.