Mac and Cheese (from Brand New Vegan)
This creamy mac and cheese is made with 2 secret ingredients to make it creamy and tasty, and keep it healthier than the typical mac and cheese. Feel free to add the sauce to other dishes as well.
- 16 oz Yukon Gold Potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 8 oz Carrots (about 2 or 3 small)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast (plus an extra 2 Tbs)
- 2 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Brown or Yellow Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- 2 cups Elbow Macaroni
- 1 bag Frozen Broccoli (a 12oz bag)
- Wash and scrub both potatoes and carrots, peel if desired. Chop into uniform pieces and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, transfer veggies to blender.
- Add 1/2 cup of the hot potato water (more if needed to blend smoothly). Pulse to mix.
- Add in remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Boil pasta until al dente. Add in frozen vegetables to last 5 min of boiling.
- Drain pasta, return to pan, and stir in however much cheese sauce you like until creamy and evenly coated.