Thanks to Sharon McRae of www.eatwell-staywell.com for this recipe!
This is a very versatile recipe, as you can use the massaged kale with just about any beans, vegetables, and dressing. It’s also great with chickpeas and a tahini-based dressing, with some chopped onion, peppers, carrots, celery and cucumbers! It is also great topped with fresh cilantro. It was adapted from a recipe from PCRM’s (Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine) Food for Life Kickstart Program.
Author: Sharon McRae
Recipe type: Salad
- 1 small bunch of kale
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1-1/2 cups frozen sweet white corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 16-oz can, drained and rinsed well)
- ½ cup salsa, preferably sugar and oil free and low sodium (Green Mountain Gringo is my preferred brand)
- 1 Tbs pumpkin seeds, raw and unsalted
- Wash kale, remove stems, and tear leaves into small, bite-sized pieces; place into a medium bowl.
- Add juice from ½ lemon, and massage the kale for 1-2 minutes until leaves soften and become limp and color is bright green.
- Add red onion, black beans, corn, salsa, and pumpkin seeds to the massaged kale, and drizzle juice from the other half of the lemon over the salad.