Mexican Shepherd’s Pie (from The Buddhist Chef)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can red beans
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- pepper, to taste
- pinch of paprika
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat with peel side up.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, water saute onion, pepper and celery over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add corn, red beans, chili powder, cumin, tomato paste, and vegetable broth. Season with pepper. Let reduce for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Once potatoes are cooked, let cool and peel.
- Place potatoes in a medium bowl. Add pepper and mix well.
- Place bean mixture in a baking dish and garnish with sweet potato purée. Top with a sprinkle of paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes.