Moroccan Red Lentil Soup (from Fitness Blender)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- Juice of 2 lemons
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion, garlic and carrot for 5 minutes, adding water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Stir in pepper, cumin, turmeric, paprika and ginger; cook another minute.
- Add water or vegetable broth and lentils; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are fully cooked, 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from heat, squeeze in the lemon juice and serve immediately. This soup is great over brown rice.