Pineapple Stir Fry (from Straight Up Food)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (½ of a medium onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 or 4 medium cloves)
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 medium white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple juice (or juice from one 20-ounce can of 100% juice)
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple (or one 20-ounce can, pineapple with 100% juice)
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- ¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- Chop and prepare all ingredients before starting, as this dish cooks up quickly. Place 1 tablespoon of water into a large skillet on high heat. When the water begins to sputter, add the onion and cook stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrot, celery, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and cook stirring for 2 to 3 minutes. Add a little of the pineapple juice gradually as needed to keep the vegetables from sticking.
- Add the pineapple, ginger, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and any remaining pineapple juice, and cook stirring for another 2 minutes. Stir in the green onion last, just before serving. Serve immediately over hot, cooked brown rice.