Portobello Mushroom & Hummus Pizzas (from The Fat Free Vegan)
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons pasta sauce
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- about 1/2 medium zucchini – shredded, chopped, or julienned
- 2 tablespoons sweet red pepper, diced
- 4 olives kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cups hummus (like this easy hummus or this pizza hummus)
- fresh basil leaves or other herbs , minced
- Wash the portobellos well. Cut off the stems and remove the gills with a spoon. Pat the insides dry and brush or spray both sides with balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the inside with black pepper.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of pasta sauce inside each mushroom and sprinkle it with garlic.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the sauced portobellos in a baking dish and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top each one with equal portions of zucchini, peppers, and olives and sprinkle with dried basil and pepper.
- Return to the oven and cook until mushrooms are tender, abut 15 minutes.
- Place on a plate, drizzle with hummus and sprinkle with basil or other herbs.
- If desired, place the portobellos back under the broiler briefly to warm the hummus.