This healthy recipe is a perfect breakfast to make on a weekend!
Potato Veggie Scramble (from Straight Up Food)
- 1½ pounds white potatoes, unpeeled, cut into ½-inch cubes (about 4½ cups)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 5 medium white or cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1½ teaspoons finely chopped garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 15oz can cooked navy or other white beans, drained and rinsed (or 1½ cups cooked from dried)
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 cups packed spinach leaves or coarsely chopped Swiss chard
- Lemon-tahini sauce (recipe below) or salsa for topping; optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the potatoes out evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the potatoes with a spatula. Return to the oven, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes more, or until tender and lightly browned.
- About 10 minutes before the potatoes are done, place 1 tablespoon of water into a frying pan over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and cook while stirring for about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, and paprika, adding a little water, as needed, to prevent sticking.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and stir in the beans, tomatoes, and greens. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the greens have wilted, stirring once or twice. Toss in the hot cooked potatoes last, and serve immediately as is or with lemon-tahini sauce or salsa.
Combine ¼ cup water, ¼ cup tahini (or 3 tablespoons hulled sesame seeds), 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional), ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder, and ⅛ teaspoon cumin in a blender and blend until smooth.