Pumpkin Hummus (from Dreena Burton)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 medium-large clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon (rounded) allspice
- ¼ teaspoon (lightly rounded) smoked paprika
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds (see below for toasting; reserve about 2-3 tablespoons for garnish)
- In a food processor add all ingredients except pumpkin seeds. Puree until very smooth.
- Taste, and if you’d like to add additional garlic or spices, add a little.
- Add most of the pumpkin seeds (reserving a couple of tbsp), and pulse through.
- Transfer mixture to a serving dish, and top with remaining pumpkin seeds. Serve with a side of fresh cut veggies.
To toast pumpkin seeds: Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400ºF for several minutes (about 5-7 minutes) until they turn a golden color and you can smell a nutty aroma. Be sure to watch them closely, as they can burn quickly.