Oatmeal makes a quick, warming breakfast in the winter. There are so many ways you can make oatmeal different every day with different flavors, fruits, and toppings. Here are three ways to make a pumpkin spice oatmeal.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 – 1 cup water (use less if you like your oatmeal thick, use more if you’d prefer your oatmeal to be less thick)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 mashed banana (added for natural sweetness but can be omitted)
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Optional: 1/2 tbsp each of chia seeds and flax seeds
- Toppings: walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, banana slices, blueberries, coconut flakes, etc.
You can make these on the stove top, microwave, or as overnight oats.
- If making on the stove top, combine everything in a pan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency, about 5 minutes. Top with your favorite toppings.
- If you need a quick meal, combine everything in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 minute, stir, then heat for another minute. Top with your favorite toppings.
- If you want to make these the night before, combine everything in a mason jar or bowl, stir, cover, and place in the fridge overnight. You will probably need to use at least 1 cup of water because the oats (and chia seeds) will absorb all the liquid. In the morning stir, heat in a microwave if desired, and add your favorite toppings.