Quinoa Primavera (from Forks Over Knives)
- 1 cup quinoa, soaked at least 2 hours or overnight, rinsed, and drained
- 2 cups frozen artichoke hearts (can also use 1 14 oz can of artichokes packed in water)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- Combine 2 cups water and the quinoa in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then add the artichokes, garlic, tarragon, thyme, dill, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the peas, carrots, bell pepper, and scallions. Cover and cook until the vegetables are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice and zest and the sunflower seeds, fluff with a fork, and season with pepper.
- Serve warm right away or put it in the fridge for a few hours and serve cold.
Variation: You can also bake extra-firm tofu in the oven and add it to your bowl of quinoa primavera.