Rainbow Pasta Salad (from Forks Over Knives)
- 8 ounces whole-grain penne or fusilli pasta
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans from dried)
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced into halves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a salad bowl; set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, onion, vinegar, garlic, and oregano. Bring to a boil, cover pan, and simmer for 10 minutes over medium-low heat until onions are tender.
3. Add the sauce, beans, kale, bell peppers, cabbage, tomatoes, and parsley to the pasta. Toss well, and season to taste with pepper. Chill in the refrigerator overnight or until ready to serve.