Rice Pudding with Cardamom (from Straight Up Food)
- 1 cup brown rice (short, long, basmati, or jasmine)
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk (like Westsoy brand)
- 4 pitted dates
- 1/2 vanilla powder (or seeds from 1 vanilla bean)
1. Place rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 45-50 minutes (per your type of rice). Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes with lid on.
2. While the rice is cooking, combine in a bowl: cardamom, cinnamon, raisins and almonds. In a blender or Vitamix, blend: soy milk, dates and vanilla.
3. Add the wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients, and combine. Add this to the pot of cooked brown rice, stir thoroughly and cook on medium-low for 10 minutes, to incorporate the flavors.
4. Serve warm or cold.