Running Safety (by Mary)
Running, it seems like everyone is doing it. Why not, it’s a great cardiovascular workout. Hold on to your running shoes, because there are a few things you should be aware of if you are going to be running outdoors, especially if you are going to be running on roads! Start by going to your local specialty running store and get fitted for running shoes (they will make running more enjoyable and less painful-I kid you not!!). Having running shoes that are geared specifically to your running gait is the best way to go. You can hit up Charm City Run (if you are close to Clarksville, MD or in the Howard County area this is a great choice. Also say hi to Mike, the manager, who is a boot camp student!). Running in shoes that fit your gait will help you avoid injuries and we want everyone to stay healthy and injury free! So, here are my tips for having an awesomely safe run:
- Run with a buddy
- If a running buddy is not available, let someone know your specific running route.
- Take your cell phone
- Run FACING traffic. Not only will they see you, YOU will SEE THEM!!!!
- Constantly scan your running route for an ESCAPE route (seriously)-you may need to jump out of the way of a vehicle.
- If you are running at dawn or dusk, wear bright clothing, reflective gear, and flashing lights-anything to make you very obvious.
- Hydrate and fuel before the run. If you are going on a long run, take your hydration and fuel with you!
- Apply sunscreen if running in the sun
- Don’t run with headphones, so you can be aware of your surroundings
- Wear proper amounts of layers. Spring is here, but it’s still chilly in the mornings and evenings. Dressing appropriately will help ensure you have an awesome run!! You can always take layers off, but if you don’t have enough layers, your core temp could drop below normal and that’s not good!!
Running is such a beneficial thing to do, so be safe and have fun!!
Mary (boot camp instructor for boot camps in Howard County)