Smoky Apple Baked Beans (from Fat Free Vegan)
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 large red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups cooked from dry)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups cooked from dry)
- 1 15-ounce can great northern beans, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups cooked from dry)
- 8-12 ounces spinach
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos or low-sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and minced garlic to the pan and sauté for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the apple and cook for another minute. Add the beans and spinach and cook until the greens have wilted. Remove from heat.
- Combine tomato sauce and all remaining ingredients in blender. Blend at high speed until the dates are completely smooth. Pour this sauce into the onion and beans, and stir well. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Enjoy served over brown rice.