Southwest Tofu Scramble (from The Minimalist Baker)
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cups kale or spinach, loosely chopped
- 3 heaping teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Drain tofu, wrap it in a towel and press it to allow water to continue to drain out of it.
- While tofu is draining, prepare sauce by adding dry spices to a small bowl and adding enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
- Prep veggies and warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and red pepper. Add water as needed to prevent sticking. Season with a pinch of pepper and stir. Cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add kale or spinach, season with a bit more pepper, and cover to steam for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, unwrap tofu and use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Use a spatula to move the veggies to one side of the pan and add tofu. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add sauce, pouring it mostly over the tofu and a little over the veggies. Stir immediately, evenly distributing the sauce. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
- Serve with roasted potatoes and other ingredients for more flavor like salsa, hot sauce and/or fresh cilantro.