If you are looking for a healthy bean burger to grill, these hold up really well!
Southwestern Black Bean Burger (from Brand New Vegan)
- 1 can low sodium black beans
- 1 can low sodium kidney beans
- 1/2 cuprolled oats
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 chipotle chile pepper with adobo
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a food processor, grind oatmeal into a fine powder and set aside.
- Drain beans into a colander and rinse well. Spread beans onto a cookie sheet and dry them as best you can. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans, oats, cornmeal, salsa, chipotle pepper, and all remaining spices together in a food processor and process until smooth., scraping down sides as necessary.
- Form into 5 burger shaped patties and allow to set in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to help them firm up.
- Grill burgers as usual. Alternatively, you can try baking them in a 375F preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve on a sprouted grain bun or large romaine leaf and add your favorite toppings.