Use this hummus as a dip for hummus, spread onto a sandwich to make it creamier, or add to your pasta sauce or salad.
Spicy Buffalo White Bean Hummus (from The Vegan 8)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves
- Two 15 oz cans of great Northern beans, drained & rinsed (or cannellini or navy beans), or 1.5 cups cooked from dry
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 4-5 tablespoons low sodium hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Optional garnish: green onion
- Roast bell pepper and garlic. Preheat an oven to 425°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place the chopped bell pepper and garlic (with skins still on) on the pan. Roast for about 12 minutes until the bell pepper edges are beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, add all of the remaining ingredients to a food processor. Start with just 4 tablespoons of the hot sauce. Blend for a couple of minutes until smooth, scraping the sides as necessary.
- Add the cooked bell peppers and garlic (with skins removed) to the hummus and blend again for several minutes, until it gets super smooth and creamy. Taste and add any more hot sauce if desired.
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish with extra hot sauce if you like it spicy add freshly chopped green onions.