Taco Soup (from My Plant Based Family)
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, diced (can also use 1 can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 jalapeno, diced (remove seeds for a less spicy version)
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- 2 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, guacamole, green onions, lime juice, hot sauce
- Water saute diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic in pan, stirring regularly. If they begin to stick add 1-2 Tbsp of water to the pan.
- Continue to cook until onions are translucent and peppers begin to soften.
- Add tomatoes and jalapeno peppers, cook until soft.
- Stir in cumin and chili powder.
- Stir in beans, corn, water or vegetable broth, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve and add any optional toppings desired.