Tuscan White Bean Soup
This soup can easily be doubled. If possible, make this soup a day in advance as the flavors really come out the longer it sits.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 small celery ribs, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15oz cans white beans (or 3 cups cooked from dry)
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups kale (or more)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Heat some water in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and oregano and saute until the onion is translucent. Continue adding water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the broth, beans, nutritional yeast, rosemary, and pepper. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Once the carrots are soft, blend with a stick blender to the desired consistency. (You can blend just a little bit and leave some whole pieces of beans and vegetables, or completely blend it)
- Add kale and allow to simmer for about 4 more minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, and add more rosemary and pepper to taste.