Twice Baked Potato Skins (from The Engine 2 Diet)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow corn
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup low sodium BBQ sauce (click HERE for a homemade one, it’s at the bottom of the post)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 medium to large russet potatoes (can also use sweet potatoes)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the potatoes and place in the oven on a baking sheet for 60 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine: bell pepper, onion, spinach and corn.
- When the potatoes are done baking, remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes to make for easier slicing.
- Slice the potatoes in half length-wise.
- Scoop out the potato leaving the skin and some potato as your empty skin to fill with the potato mixture.
- Add the scooped out potato to a large bowl.
- Add the nutritional yeast, BBQ sauce, black pepper and one teaspoon of the smoked paprika to the large bowl of potatoes.
- Use a potato masher or a large spoon to combine the spices and BBQ sauce with the potatoes to make a mash.
- Combine the vegetables in the small bowl with the potato mixture in the large bowl.
- Fill the empty potato skins with the vegetable and potato mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining teaspoon of smoked paprika on the potatoes.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Bake the filled potato skins for 30 minutes.
- Serve with BBQ sauce for dipping.
For a spicier version, try adding sliced jalapenos!